ChatGPT: How Prompts Shape Your Interactions with AI Chatbot
What was the most searched AI tool in the last few months? Yes, you guessed it right – ChatGPT.
ChatGPT is a conversational AI chatbot built on OpenAI’s GPT 3.5 – based large language model (LLM) that uses Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback (RLHF).
Although in its nascent form, ChatGPT has taken the internet and the world by storm for its relevant and natural-sounding responses and advanced abilities.
- ChatGPT welcomed 1 million users in 5 days – a great feat for any platform!
- ChatGPT skyrocketed to unprecedented heights with 15.7 million unique visitors resulting in an impressive 28 million visits on January 31st.
- Just 2 months after its launch, ChatGPT soared to a whopping 100 million monthly active users.
How To Access ChatGPT?
Go to chat.openai.comÂ and create an OpenAI account. Alternatively, you can register with your Google or Microsoft account to access ChatGPT.
A verification mail will be sent to your registered email address. Once verified, you will be prompted to provide personal details – Name and Phone Number.
Accept the ChatGPT terms and thatâs it! You will be able to see the screen shown below.
Ask away all your burning questions or increase your productivity by asking it to write emails or even poems!
Capabilities Of ChatGPT
Everyone’s tried using ChatGPT for writing blogs or articles. But it is capable of doing so much more!
ChatGPT can accomplish complex tasks and answer the most complicated questions with point-blank clarity…within seconds!
Knowledge workers can use it to quickly draft legal documents or write lengthy research papers in minutes.
It could write persuasive sales pitches, conversational marketing mailers, and codes to build apps!
ChatGPT is intelligent enough to crack some of the most elite entrance tests!
You could ask ChatGPT for some interesting facts and be stunned by its responses or play games!
You could even instruct it to write improv comedy scenes or a love letter too!
What Might Happen In The Next Iteration Of GPT?
Contrary to popular belief and rumors, Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI, confirms that GPT-4 is not going to be much bigger than GPT-3 in terms of the number of parameters.
A significant implication with GPT-4 on its way will be the enhancement of ChatGPT’s natural language processing (NLP) capabilities. If you want to give GPT-4 a free try, then do read through the linked blog post.
Coming back, there is also speculation regarding the multimodal model being the near future.
In a podcast interview from September 2022, Sam Altman hints a few intriguing details on what to expect from OpenAI soon. He states:
Rest all aside, the most daunting question clouding everybody’s mind currently is:
Is ChatGPT Going To Replace Me?
ChatGPT is not the first AI tool to be witnessed. Various AI-driven tools and software have been in the market for quite a long time.
So, what makes ChatGPT a unique player? It is scary to think this software can do what humans do or even better than what humans do.
But things are not as despairing as it seems.
Even with a complex autopilot system, there is still a need for Pilots. After the automation of machines in manufacturing units, there is still a need for industry workers.
Advancement in robotic arm surgeries does not mean we do not need surgeons. What it does is reduce the volume of requirements.
What was previously seen as a machine vs. human situation is now turning into a machine+human future.
There is no question that ChatGPT can excel and bring game-changing transformations in every industry it touches.
But in its current state, it requires human intervention. It needs a human to give it the proper prompts. It also needs human fact-checkers.
All ChatGPT can do right now is push humans towards greater efficiency at work and eliminate repetitive and mundane day-to-day tasks.
Prompts are the starting point for an AI tool to generate text or perform a task.
It can be a question, a statement, a set of instructions, or any other input an AI model can process and use to produce an output.
Though AI will not eat up jobs anywhere in the near future, AI prompt engineering is a skill set that will be preferred.
Writing the perfect prompt requires domain expertise, creativity, quick and reliable research capabilities, and good communication skills.
ChatGPT is an intelligent tool. But it still needs a flawlessly engineered input to give you the desired output with minimal errors.
Just like ChatGPT is here to make your job easier, you need to put in a little effort and research to make its job easier as well.
It might be challenging for beginners to get the expected outputs initially, but this guide provides all the information required to get the best results.
Here’s an example of how providing context and helpful information can improve text generation.
Basic Vs. Engineered Prompts
- Write on how to house-train a dog
- As a dog trainer by profession, write an email to a pet parent with a 2-month-old labrador about what they should do to train their puppy at home
- The prompt is not specific for ChatGPT to give you the accurate response
- The addition of âImportance of Sleepâ in the prompt makes the output helpful and appropriate
- The prompt is too vague. Does not provide any context
- This prompt is more specific. It gives context and other useful information like placement and word limit of the desired content
- ChatGPT provides a satisfactory output, but by including the target audience, you can tailor the text to your needs
- The phrase âlike Iâm 5â changes the output for it to be understandable by 5-year-old kids.
- The tool provides a good output but is missing a few keywords.
- Providing a list of keywords in your prompt ensures that you get an output that includes all the targeted keywords, making it SEO-friendly.
- The generated response is usable, but tweets are restricted to 280 characters. You would need to alter this output to get the desired results.
- Explicitly introducing the restrictions into the prompt allows the tool to generate a response that requires minimal tweaks.
In the engineered prompt, the AI is asked to assume the role of a “professional dog trainer” and provide content in a particular format – “email.” This allows ChatGPT to generate the desired text with minimal edits.
There’s also some additional helpful information, such as the age and breed of the dog, to give the email some personalization.
How To Write Effective ChatGPT Prompts?
- Get specific: To get the best answers, you’ve got to be precise! Ensure your prompt has a clear and focused question or topic.
- Keep it short and sweet:Like a good tweet, keep your prompts concise and to the point. Avoid confusing the tool with long and winding sentences.
- Use natural language: Try to write your prompts that mimic natural human vocabulary. This can help make the prompts more relatable.
- Give it context: Help the language model out by giving it context to provide an accurate response. A little context can go a long way!To help you with this, weâve got you covered with an interesting blog post that details everything about how to write ChatGPT prompts can take your interactions with AI Chatbots to the next level. Do read through the blog post, but before that lets get going.
- Mind your grammar:Use proper grammar and punctuation in your prompts. It will help the tool understand the question better and give a coherent response.
- Define jargon: If your question includes technical or industry-specific terminologies, define these terms in your prompt.
- Keep it neutral:Stay objective and avoid using leading language or showing bias in your prompts.
- Use keywords:Incorporate specific keywords or phrases into your prompts to help it better understand the question.
- See things from different angles:If you want a well-rounded response, give ChatGPT different perspectives.
- Avoid vague questions:Clarity is key when creating a prompt. Ensure your questions are specific and not too broad to avoid unhelpful responses.
- Double-check for accuracy: After getting a response, double-check for accuracy and follow up with additional questions or clarification if necessary.
Although ChatGPT holds much promise for enhancing communication experiences, there are several limitations to this technology, including:
- Limited domain understanding:ChatGPT may have broad expertise but does not have in-depth knowledge of specific domains.
- Biased training data: ChatGPT’s training data may contain hidden biases that manifest in opinionated responses to sensitive topics or groups of people.
- Inability to understand emotions and context: ChatGPT understands facts and figures but lacks the emotional intelligence to comprehend complex responses.
- Limited creativity:ChatGPT may be able to imitate the style of a human writer, but its incapable of coming up with totally unique and novel ideas.
- Lacks current data and information: ChatGPT’s knowledge is based on its training data and information, which has a cut-off date of 2021.
- Tendency to fabricate facts: ChatGPT responses can be erroneous. It is essential to verify the generated information to ensure accuracy.
- Cannot handle tricky queries: ChatGPT is not yet able to deal with potentially harmful or unethical topics. The software is designed to steer clear of anything controversial.
How To Bypass ChatGPT Restrictions?
Straight from the horse’s mouth, ChatGPT has a few restrictions in place to make the tool mindful and ethical to avoid potential harm.
However, there is a way to bypass these restrictions. With patience and creativity, you can trick ChatGPT into generating restricted answers.
This is where DAN (Do Anything Now), ChatGPT’s counterpart, comes into picture.
DAN is nothing but a ChatGPT prompt not bound by ChatGPT restrictions. There are various other acronyms and ways to jailbreak ChatGPT, but this one is the most well-known of them all.
If you have an inclination for something morbid, it’s worth giving ChatGPT’s DAN mode a try!
ChatGPT Case Studies
1. ChatGPT generates a “mildly terrifying” ad for Mint Mobile
Mint Mobile is an American virtual network operator partly owned by one of Hollywood’s most influential actors – Ryan Reynolds.
In an experiment to create a compelling ad, Ryan Reynolds uses ChatGPT to provide the ad script.
Â He used a prompt that said, “Write a commercial for Mint Mobile in the voice of Ryan Reynolds. Use a joke, a curse word, and let people know that Mint’s holiday promo is still going, even after the big wireless companies have ended theirs.”
Â What resulted was astonishing! ChatGPT generated an ad copy that genuinely sounded like something Ryan Reynolds would have said.
2. ChatGPT co-authors books on Amazon Kindle
OpenAI’s generative bot, ChatGPT, has been listed as an author or co-author for 200 ebooks available on Amazon’s bookstore – Amazon Kindle.
The books include titles like “How to Write and Create Content Using ChatGPT,” “The Power of Homework,” and a poetry collection – “Echoes of the Universe.”
ChatGPT appears ready to bring ground-breaking changes in the novels and books industry.
3. Infosys adopts ChatGPT to Develop Automated Solutions
Infosys Ltd., one of India’s leading IT services firms, has incorporated ChatGPT in its operational processes.
The CEO, Mr. Salil Parekh, said the company is using the tool for “client situations,” which has resulted in increased productivity and automation.
4. Bain & Company announces a services partnership with OpenAI
Bain & Company, an American management consulting firm, embeds AI to enhance its client operations.
The Company aims to build next-gen contact centers with the help of AI for banks, telcos, and utility companies to improve customer experience.
It also looks forward to amplifying its turnaround time using ChatGPT and DALLÂ·E to develop personalized ads, designs, and messaging.
ChatGPT is a remarkable AI conversational tool that can be incredibly useful for summarizing or generating content.
If crafting prompts doesn’t sound like your cup of tea, fear not – with our 500+ best ChatGPT prompts, you can find something suitable for your needs!
Experimenting with prompt writing and getting creative is always an option too!
When used correctly, ChatGPT can prove to be beneficial in providing you with reliable answers.
So what are you waiting for? Unlock the wonders of ChatGPT today!